Darien, CT - LEED Platinum Environmentally Friendly Remodel
Photos by Jeanna Shepard Photography
Earning LEED Platinum certification for a renovation of a home nearing the century mark is a rare achievement. Trillium Architects answered the client’s request for an open, spacious, and family-friendly design, while maintaining a compact footprint and fitting sensitively into the colonial context of its neighborhood. The homeowners also desired a low-impact, environmentally-friendly home that used a cradle-to-cradle approach to materials use. Though the home underwent a gut renovation which doubled its size, the owner’s energy bills were halved.
- LEED Platinum-certified
- HERS rating of 37 / 100
- Winner of the CT Green Building Council Residential Merit Award, 2012
- Zero-VOC materials used throughout entire construction
- Demolished portions of house were 98% reused or recycled
- Full water collection and re-use
- Extremely low-flow water fixtures
- Recycled denim insulation
- Rain-screen (vented) siding adds 10-20 years to life of exterior paint
- Trimwork milled from 100-foot spruce tree cut from property
- Size of project: Original 1476-sq.ft. house increased to 2858-sq.ft.